Thursday, August 21

Yet another strike!

Yesterday witnessed another bunch of strikes - by airport , bank employees and in Bangalore the auto-drivers again applied brakes to their vehicles claiming various demands.
Are strikes right for the country? Is it a public-sector employee's right to stop work for one or more days?
Take the case of autos - though it is not a public sector, the drivers get subsidies and benefits because of their occupation! Who pays the monies for these welfare benefits - of course, tax payers like you & me! And what do I get in return ?
Almost 90% of auto-drivers simply refuse to ply to commercial areas in the morning and residential areas in the evenings! The reason said is that they might not find commuters for return journey! The only way to fit into this timetable is by sleeping at homes during daytime and goto work in the evenings! Auto-imposed shift system !
Unfortunately, yesterday I had a chain of bad experiences commuting across Bangalore. In the morning, when I took an auto towards AnilKumble circle, the driver took me Shoolay circle inspite of telling him throughout the way that my destination is in the other direction. Add one-way roads and traffic blocks - result is that I paid twice the usual fare and kept my cool.
In the evening, I had to hurry to pick up some documents from MG Road. I waited almost half an hour near the Airport(old) flyover before finding an empty auto. As expected, he refused to come in that direction. Few other drivers followed suit and some demanded exorbitant fares - more than thrice the amount, reason being the strike ! But, do they need a reason anyway?
After a while, I lost my patience and started walking with the heavy laptop and bag. Whichever auto driver met me on the way, demanded a lottery prize. When I cautioned one of them of complaining to police, he asked me if he should take me to the police station for 50 bucks!
Nexus between auto & police - would have been my title if I were a journalist! It is all out in the open for everyone to see that autodrivers can't be so demanding or cheating on meters if and only if our cops were straight!
BTW, the strike by autos was to provide better housing options and a lenient policing system - it seems! Amen!
If only we do our duties well, our rights will get their way!

1 comment:

Shrinidhi Hande said...

Auto bitbidi... Run maadi Run... slogan of Bangalore RUN... very true...

Buying a two wheeler is best alternative for long term residents...