Tuesday, July 22

Go Egosurfing

Today, I was bored (Ur guess is right - it was ciesta time!) and tried egosurfing. For those who want to refresh the memory (again being post noon session), egosurfing is Ego (ie I) + Surfing ==>browsing on one's own name - family name, nick name, pet name and u name what not - using search engines.
On one hand, I feel happy that there are lots like me searching their names in the millions of terabytes of data, otherwise, there might not have been a name for searching their own names! And today I restricted myself to blogs only! Can this process be called as egoblogsurfing ?
For a moment, I paused to think why anyone would search for his/her name?
Here are some reasons I could think of:
1. Eager/Curious/Anxious to know if something has been written abt me
2. Interested in knowing if there are celebrities or interesting people with my name
3. Trying to match interests and similarities with the same-named person
4. How common/uncommon my name is
5. Its so easy to type one's own name when bored
6. Egotistic ?
and probably more...
But, isn't the basic need is physiological? A name is not an identity tag alone, its much more than that!
Don't we tend to recognize ourselves by our name, though we were born much before/after the naming happens! Is it becoz we say our names more than any other word - this starts even before schooling, with 'My name is ' - and a name is how we present ourselves to the outside world. If I say 'I am Laddoo', am I only Laddoo (for the sweet-tooth)?
If for the argument, if my name is 'Me', then, amn't I only the name and not heart, soul, characteristics, vices etc etc? What about the branches of science(?!) numerology or nameology ? In hindu mythology, any God has numerous names and the most powerful ones have infinite names as well! In such a scenario, how can a single name stand out as an identity?
BTW, how do think Gods might egosurf ?:-)

No comments: