Friday, January 11

Autos off the Bangalore roads

Is that a good sight or a bad one? - is the question dodging me.
Today morning, I travelled all along the airport road and outer ring road to reach my office - only once, I could get to see the yellow roofed auto, that too in a self created auto stand. Reason being that the auto drivers (or auto owners) are protesting by going off roads for 12 hours today, demanding higher rates. It is good for all other vehicle drivers on road. -they can atleast attempt to stick to lanes.
I am wondering what kind of protest is this and how can one section of the society which is dependent on public utility bring people to a halt. It is not problem of today, but almost everyday. Ask any regular commuter of the hassles one undergoes to travel in a three wheeler. To begin with, one has to beg an average of five autos before getting the nod to get into the tuk-tuk. And this average is only an average and does not guarantee a ride every time you stand on the pavement waving your hands. When u stop an auto, sometimes you get a stare in return, sometimes a smirk, sometimes a little less than a "ghaali" and sometimes nothing at all! I have an idea if we can ask for the day's prediction to include this response from our astrologers!
Next is the problem of negotiating with the driver on the extra fare payment. By default, he starts with double the fare and bargains depending on ur desperation level.
If you succeed to get an auto in the direction you wanted and managed to get in, start looking at the meter - which comes in various types and speed. There are types which will not obey traffic signals and the meters never stop though the vehicle is halted. There are Ben Johnsons, PT Ushas and Gangulys that run at various velocity. Tell that to the driver, he changes his mother tongue and uses the only language you cannot understand especially if it is a girl!
What next? You get to see a bit of the city with the excuse of traffic blocks or jams in certain areas. This happens more if you reach Bangalore on a volvo bus. I guess any auto driver eyes a person with a suitcase as a hawk eyeing chicken. I think of macro economics after I get into an auto from an overnight bus journey, early in the morning.
After all these interesting travel opportunities, the last leg is no less. No change for the fare. I do not know where do the coins minted by the Indian Govt. reside ? I am sure that all the black money hoarders prefer currency notes and that too in higher denominations. Our friends hoard coins, especially 50p and 1Re are unheard terms- all these hold good if and only if if it is commuter's money.
Well, I also agree that there are a handful of decent and good autowalas around. Two days back, I was so happy when an auto-uncle (Mr. Chellayya) dropped me without cribbing or swearing. When I gave him the money, he asked me how much change should be returned without looking at the meter. I told him 5 , instead of the 8.
The last time I said a similar thing was to a cabbie in Germany.

2 comments:

Shrinidhi Hande said...

What happened then? Has the govt agreed to increase fare?

I guess once Nano hits the road, autos will be replaced by NANO Taxis...

Laddoo said...

Yup, the fares have gone up by Rs.2 so that the minimum fare is 14 bucks! And one can eaasily forget the ONE rupee change.