Thursday, October 11

To Sir, With Love

Thatz the book that I finished reading recently. This is written by ER Braithwaite with the London in late 1950s as the background . I must admit that it was more interesting than what I had expected.
I understand from Wiki ( I dint expect a dedicated article on this book in Wiki!) that a movie was also made out of this book.
Check out for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Sir,_with_Love_(book) for the plot summary and criticism.
Let me tell you what I liked in the novel - Having travelled to London recently, I could easily visualise how things would have been different 50+ years back. I appreciate the small nuances the author describes of East London. I can imagine the snootiness of the English and how high handed they behave when encountering a colored person! The solution provided in the book is unrealistic in the short term, but can be a definite natural one in the long term.
Above all, it is a small book of 189 pages and one cannot bring oneself to put it down till the last page!
In summary, it is a worthy reading for a short travel or wait!

No comments: